Hayner Library Subscription Databases
Available for at-home use to Hayner Library cardholders 24/7. Also available for in-library use to non-cardholders during normal library hours. Please be sure to scroll further down the page to see more non-subscription website links, reading lists, and informational booklets created by the Hayner Library Reference department.
Arts & Crafts
- Creativebug Award-winning, high-quality HD instructional videos for on-trend arts and crafts.
- Auto Repair Source Provides the most accurate, authoritative, and up-to-date service and repair information for thousands of domestic and imported vehicles. All content comes from the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and includes step-by-step repair information, diagrams, maintenance schedules, parts and labor estimates, service bulletins, and recalls.
- Auto Repair Source Tutorial Video
Books and Readers' Advisory
- NoveList Plus Premier reading recommendation database presenting fiction, nonfiction, and audiobooks. Includes expert recommendations, reviews, articles, lists, and more.
- NoveList Plus Tutorial VideoTutorial Video
- NoveList Plus K-8 Premier reading recommendation database for young readers, presenting fiction, nonfiction, and audiobooks. Includes expert recommendations, reviews, articles, lists, and more.
- NoveList Plus K-8 Tutorial VideoTutorial VideoTutorial Video
E-books and E-audio Books
- Cloud Library Borrow and read e-books and e-audiobooks for free. You can also download the Cloud Library app from your mobile device's app store.
- OverDrive Borrow and read e-books, e-audiobooks, and digital magazines for free. You can also download the OverDrive Libby app from your mobile device's app store.
- Tumblebook Library for Kids Curated database of children's ebooks
- MasterFILE Premier Provides full-text magazines, reference books, and primary source documents. Great for students writing research papers. Includes a citation tool.
- MasterFILE Premier Tutorial VideoTutorial Video
- MasterFILE Reference eBook Collection Companion collection of reference ebooks for the MasterFILE Premier database.
- Primary Search Designed for elementary school, this is a full-text database providing popular children's magazines, easy-to-read encyclopedia entries, and a vast image collection.
- Primary Search Tutorial VideoTutorial Video This tutorial can also be applied to the MasterFILE Premier database.
- Primary Search Reference eBook Collection Companion collection of reference ebooks for the Primary Search database.
- Consumer Health Complete Health-related informational content covering all key areas of health and wellness—from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary and holistic medicine.
- Consumer Health Complete eBook Collection Companion collection of ebooks for the Consumer Health Complete database.
- Consumer Health Complete Tutorial VideoTutorial Video
Product Reviews and Ratings
- ConsumerReports.org Digital subscription of Consumer Reports magazine.
Genealogy & Local History Databases and Newspapers
Available remotely (no log in necessary)
- Archive.org Digitized books from the Hayner Collection, includes yearbooks, Alton city directories, and other items.
- Illinois Digital Archives Alton Area Local History Collection Photographs digitized by the Genealogy & Local History Library staff.
- Branching Out Genealogy Webinars Created by the Genealogy & Local History Library staff.
- State Genealogy Research Guides Created by the Genealogy & Local History Library staff.
- Madison County Cemetery Maps
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps through the University of Illinois Library (includes Alton).
- Elijah P. Lovejoy Films and Bibliography
Available Remotely with a Hayner Public Library Card
- Fold 3 Access military records, including stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served.
- Newspaper Archive Illinois Newspapers, includes Alton Telegraph 1836 - 2012 (Also includes Edwardsville Intellegencer.)
- The Alton Telegraph from NewsBank Jan. 2020 - Present Includes full-color newspaper pages from Jan. 1, 2020 – present, including today's newspaper. Also includes text (no images) for the Alton Telegraph from 2007–present.
In-Library Use Only (Genealogy & Local History, Downtown, and Alton Square)
- Ancestry Library Edition World's most popular consumer online genealogy resource.
- The Alton Telegraph Nov. 2012 – Dec. 2019 Not available remotely due to copyright restrictions.
Non-subscription Online Resources
Available for use at the library or at home with or without a Hayner Library card.
Automotive, Auto Repair, and Fuel Economy
- Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual
- Illinois Rules of the Road Booklet
- U.S. Department of Energy Fuel Economy Information
Books and Readers' Advisory
- African American Fiction Authors Book List (Printable PDF)
- Anti-Racism Book List (Printable PDF)
- Anti-Racism Book List for Children (Printable PDF)
- Authorama (Free online books from a variety of authors)
- Biblioboard Library of Illinois (Free ebooks for kids, young adult, and older. Novels, the classics, Indie authors, and educational materials)
- Book Bundles
- Fantastic Fiction
- LibriVox (Free public domain audiobooks)
- Open Library (You will have to create an account to borrow the ebooks)
- Overlooked Mystery Authors List
- Project Gutenberg (Over 60,000 free ebooks, the world's greatest literature, to read online or download)
- Stop, You're Killing Me
- Women's History Month Reading List: Books with Strong Female Characters
Community Support Services
- Community Support Services Booklet
- Red Cross Emergency App
- Directory of Community Mental Health Resources
- Digital Learn
- Microsoft Word Guide to Creating a New Document
- Microsoft Word Guide to Creating Headers and Footers
- Mouse Tutorial
- Typing Club
- Illinois General Assembly
- Madison County Government
- Official Website for the State of Illinois
- The United States Government Manual
- United States House of Representatives
- United States Senate
Jobs and Careers
Tax Forms and Information
- Federal Income Tax Forms (IRS) 1-800-829-3676
- Illinois Department of Revenue (Click on the "Forms" icon at the top of the page to view tax forms) 1-800-356-6302
- Missouri Department of Revenue Tax Forms 1-800-877-6881
- Circuit Breaker Information (Click on the "Benefit Access Program" icon) 1-800-252-8966
Testing and Education