Designated staff members at the Hayner Alton Square and Downtown libraries are available as notaries. The Hayner Public Library District provides the services of a Notary Public on a walk-in basis at a charge of $1.00 for each document notarized. We recommend recommended that those who need notary service call the library at 618-462-0677 before visiting to ensure that a notary is available at that time.
Notary services are available at both locations:
The Hayner Public Library District—Downtown Library
326 Belle Street
Alton, IL 62002
The Hayner Public Library District—Alton Square Library
132 Alton Square
Alton, IL 62002
What to bring:
- Your completed, unsigned document(s) to be notarized
- A witness or witnesses, if required by your document
- A valid, unexpired state ID, federal ID, or other government ID with signature and photos (such as a driver’s license, state ID card, US military ID, or US passport)
We cannot notarize:
- Documents that are already signed (The Notary Public must witness signatures)
- Documents that are not in English
- Documents with blank spaces other than the space for signature
- We cannot “certify a copy” (e.g., verify that a reproduction of an original document is an accurate, complete, and correct copy of the original)
Other things to know:
- Illinois law regulates notaries. We will not notarize documents that do not follow such laws and regulations. Notaries will not prepare or complete documents for you, nor can they give legal advice on a matter.
- Per Illinois law, notaries will not provide service if the document or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any question of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the library. In this event, the notary may decline to provide notary service at their sole discretion.